I discovered that laughter has helped me to keep my emotions in check to a degree and I feel a little better about myself. There is various well-documented medical research done on the effect of using laughter as a therapy tool. The power of laughter is that it’s an antidote to relieving stress, problems, and yes even pain. Humor can bring much-needed balance in the person’s life and lightens up their load too.
Benefits of laughter:
- Reduces stress hormones such as endorphins, adrenaline, and cortisol
- Fights against respiratory infections and boosts the body’s immune system
- Prevents heart disease
- Expands the person’s views on situations reducing overwhelmed feelings
- Improves the person’s overall mood
- Add joy and excitement
- Strengthens relationships with others
- Defuses difficult situations
- Attracts others to us and encourages unity amongst one another
- Improves memory, alertness, and creativity
- Increases memory and learning capabilities
- Lowers blood pressure
- Gives the diaphragm, and abdominal region a good workout including respiratory, facial, back, and leg muscles
Ideas of where to find something funny to laugh at?
- YouTube videos are a wonderful option as many videos are a few minutes long and can provide a much-needed release. My favorite type of videos to watch is primarily animal-based videos such as cats, dogs, and wildlife getting themselves into the most interesting case of circumstances.
- Reading online comic strips and cartoons. Both of these can easily be found anywhere online, especially on Facebook. I follow many online comics strips on Facebook pages providing me exactly what I need each day.
- Funny TV shows and movies are still the best options for watching something that appeals to you and will get you in the right frame of mind.
- Search for comedians and people in general who will make you laugh. Attending a comedy club is the perfect way to get yourself in a laughing mood.
- Do something silly and what that entails for me is making funny faces in the mirror. Eventually, I will laugh. Sometimes it takes time for me to laugh but I will chuckle a little in due time.
So please keep in mind that laughter is truly the best medicine.